Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 4

I came into work today not as hungover as I could have been. Quinn looked like he was going to puke. But it wasn't going to be a hangover puke. One of the most useful things you learn in college is the difference between alcohol sick and nerves sick. This was nerves sick. 

"Hey man, why don't you take today off? You've earned it."

Well it has been a rough three days. What with being there only 15 minutes late every time, and 

"But who'll answer the phones?"

Eric came back from the room with a bulletproof best on. 

"Jesus ok I'll go. What the hell's all this about?"

"We've been, um, contacted, by someone we wouldn't normally deal with. But he's going to pay our bills for a year."

"Eric said he can handle it if things get ugly. But I mean that's what he said ver-fucking-batim. Who says that? Do this and I'll pay your bills for a year?!"

"Look we'll be fine, don't worry about us. Just go watch a movie or something. I'm sure you could pay $8 to go see some robots fight?"

Jesus Christ. What could this guy want? 
"You sure you guys don't want me to like wait outside and call the cops if shots are fired?"

Quinn wanted to nod. 

"Oh grow a pair. We'll be fine. Here."

Eric pulled a hundred out of his wallet without thinking about it. 

"There's got to be hookers in this town. And I'm sure $50'll get you a hug and a handshake. And you can take her to dinner. Off you go."

Eric practically shoved me out the door. I think Quinn wanted to come. I made it a couple blocks before I started to feel sick. This was the best job I've ever had. I can't let these assholes die without at least saying I helped. I turned around and when I got close enough to see it was the mayor's car followed by two policemen that showed up. 

What can the mayor need done that he can't have anyone else do? 

I took my $100 to the bus station and told her I'm going to need a ticket out of town but I don't know when. She said she'd hold on to it for me in a safe. I'd just have to come in and say my name. I told her it's either that or she and I go see a movie. She said her boyfriend might something. I started walking away after boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment